Remember I mentioned a little while ago my recent obsession with breakfast food? Well, even though I'm trying to eat a little healthier these days, I'm still seriously into that first meal of the day. We made these eggs a few weeks ago, and then my friends repeated them last weekend when I was staying there. They're SO good. The thing about cooking with chorizo is that it's all oozy so the flavour seeps into the eggs, and it colours them a lovely orangey shade. I'm now thinking about how awesome they'd be with some strong cheese stirred through...
Chorizo Scrambled Eggs
- 4-5 eggs
- Half a chorizo sausage
- Handful of cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Lime juice (fresh - about half a lime - or bottled - a few drops)
- 2 tortillas
- A handful of fresh or dried coriander
- A knob of butter
- Oil or FryLight
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 200c and put your two tortillas in the oven, brushed with olive oil or spritzed with FryLight. Cook for about 15 minutes until crunchy - we didn't time them, we just got them out when everything else was cooked!
2. Break eggs into a bowl, add the butter, a pinch of salt and plenty of black pepper, and whisk up with a fork until they're blended and creamy. Set to one side. Basically, when you add your eggs to the pan, they'll cook super fast, so you don't want to leave them for a second.
3. If you're using dried coriander, add them to the egg mixture now. If fresh, add at the end.
4. Chop up your chorizo and cherry tomatoes into chunks.
5. If you have a helper, get them to work on the avocado while you're making the eggs, but if not, get it ready now. Peel the avocado, chop and mash into a bowl with the crushed garlic, plenty of salt and pepper and the lime juice.
6. Heat up your frying pan and add the chorizo and tomato. Cook until the tomato is softened and the chorizo is darkening around the edges.
7. Pour in your egg mixture and start stirring instantly - the pan is hot, so they're going to cook fast!
8. Keep muddling the eggs until you're happy with the consistency - I like them ever so slightly runny still. Remove from the heat immediately.
9. Get your tortillas out of the oven and spread the avocado mixture over them.
10. Top with your egg mixture, add a little more black pepper and fresh coriander if you have it, and then shove them in your faaaace.