I have a weird problem. I like gin, but not tonic. I’m sure some of you are laughing at that, and I get it – it kind of makes me look like an alcoholic! But it’s not like I order a G&T “without the T” – I’m honestly not quite THAT bad. But it’s kind of a sad little problem, as I always think G&Ts seem super chic and they look oh so refreshing – but no, not for me.
It’s okay though, because Aldi asked me if I wanted some of their awesome Oliver Cromwell London Dry Gin to make cocktails with, and I said yes, because duh, free booze – but also because it meant I could make a G without the T, but with something more interesting instead! And I did. I must admit that for these drinks we actually really needed a better strainer and straws (I spent quite some time picking mint leaves out of my teeth) but they were still hella tasty.
Gin Blackberry Smash
- Punnet blackberries
- Punnet raspberries
- Lime, for garnish
1. Grab a cocktail shaker and throw in some raspberries and blackberries
2. Add a couple of shots of Aldi's Oliver Cromwell London Dry Gin
3. Throw in some torn mint leaves
4. Muddle everything together to crush the berries and make the flavours mingle
5. Add some ice
6. Add some sugar syrup (one part sugar, one part water)
8. Get your glasses ready and pour - through a strainer if you have one
9. Drink! I recommend straws, but if you don't have any, just go with it. Tasty fruity smoothie.
Disclaimer: Aldi provided me with the gin, cocktail equipment and some Aldi vouchers for mixers.